The professional blog of Doctors Dan Bruce, Steve Bruce, Rosa Pothier and Rob Ririe
Advantages of implants
- The adjacent teeth can tip to fill the space, causing bite problems and spaces in other teeth.
- The opposing tooth can erupt into the space, causing periodontal pocketing and root exposure.
- Roots of the adjacent teeth can be exposed, making them susceptible to decay and periodontal problems.
- The bone in the jaw can become thin to the point that fractures are more likely in later life.
- The bone between the mouth and the sinus can become so thin that future implant placement is not possible in the future without a sinus grafting procedure.
- The shifting of the teeth can have a major aesthetic effect, even if the missing tooth is not visible. Teeth will shift to fill the gap, causing changes in all areas of the mouth.