Our dentists are SMART certified in the removal of amalgam fillings. SMART-certification signifies that a dentist has completed the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology’s educational program about rigorous recommendations for removing existing dental mercury amalgam fillings. Our dentists will work with your medical health care provider to develop a personalized plan for amalgam removal.
What is SMART?
SMART is the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, which is a set of safety measures to reduce mercury exposures during dental amalgam filling removal. These safety measures were developed as a result of scientific research collected by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT).
Why does SMART matter?
All dental amalgams, also referred to as silver fillings, contain 50% mercury (a neurotoxin) which is constantly released in the form of an invisible vapor. The process of drilling out amalgam fillings releases even higher quantities of mercury vapor and fine particulates that can be inhaled and absorbed through the lungs. This is potentially harmful to patients, dentists, other dental workers, and the fetuses of patients and all dental personnel.
Which dentists are SMART certified?
Dentists who have obtained SMART certification from the IAOMT have completed coursework related to mercury and the safe removal of amalgam fillings. The educational programming includes learning about the application of the rigorous safety measures, including the utilization of specific equipment. To maintain SMART certification, your dentist enrolls in the program annually to review the safety measures.
Where can I learn more about SMART?
Visit www.thesmartchoice.com to learn more.
SMART AMALGAM PATIENT TESTIMONIAL
Over the course of four sessions with Dr. Daniel Bruce, I had the amalgam fillings in all of my molars removed and replaced using the amalgam removal protocol. After many years of avoiding the dentist's office I was extremely nervous about the procedures, but my fear was completely unfounded. Dr. Bruce and his assistants explained the procedures thoroughly and managed my pain and comfort completely. It was very reassuring to know I wouldn't be ingesting the mercury and to finally have it out of my mouth. I expected to be sore for a few days after the procedures but that did not occur. My new fillings and crowns look amazing, and I'm able to eat normally again after years of discomfort. I couldn't be happier or more thankful to Dr. Bruce and his staff!"